Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dirt Therapy

Today was a day. You know what I mean?

Back to back client meetings, deadlines looming, email inbox growing... Inhaled lunch (and then some) and before I knew it, it was 4:00 with barely enough time to return this morning's phone calls. Left for the garden tired and cranky with my stress showing clearly between my eyes.

And then I got down on my knees and dug in the dirt. Yeah.

Had NPR streaming through my earbuds, mud on my jeans, and fresh air in my lungs. Suddenly I felt sorta relaxed. Not totally carefree mind you, but appreciably lighter.

Planted 18 pepper plants in raised beds outside the high tunnel tonight. The extension beds are full of luxurious, soft black dirt. Rich with tons of wonderful compost, I'm sure. Didn't even need a trowel. Just dug my hands in and pushed the dirt aside. Awesome.

Kind of makes me think about kids and sandboxes. Think that's good for stress too?

No comments:

Post a Comment