Thursday, September 17, 2009

Fruit Fly Season

It's fruit fly season!

That's the time of year when, no matter how hard you try, you can't keep up with all the produce on your kitchen counter.

Despite two batches of jam, I couldn't get through all the pears generously donated by an aunt and uncle. So after watching swarms of little winged buggers hovering over this bowl, I decided to move it outside.

I'll step out the door if I want a piece of fruit. (Provided the critters don't find a way onto my patio table, that is.)

What doesn't get eaten will go to the compost bin, and that's okay. The best thing about a compost bin is that I don't have to feel guilty about wasting produce.

'Bye, bye soggy smelly greens. See yah, slimy pepper. Later...whatever you were molding in the back of my fruit drawer. Have fun with the coffee grounds. We'll meet again in year or so.'

1 comment:

  1. How long does fruit fly season last? I have a thai pepper plant in my kitchen that these things seem to like. I don't want to put it outside due to the potential frost, so I'm trying to kind of ride this out. My house is clean to most peoples standards, so I'm not sure how these things are surviving other than this plant. However, I'm getting pretty fed up with these things and about to take desperate measures. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete