Thursday, April 1, 2010

Back At It


I finally got my butt back over the the gardens yesterday. Here's the thing. I don't like the cold. So the idea of driving across town in December to water carrots...not so much.

So the Extension staff took over for the winter. All in all the yield was not great, I'm told. The row covers blew off one day (wind came in through an open door when someone was leaving the high tunnel) and much of the kale and carrots froze. Anyway, now we're using clamps to keep the row covers secure. It's all a learning experience.

Bill did go ahead and seed some greens, like that big clump of argula that's already starting to bolt. And some of the carrots are still alive, so all was not lost.

The plan for the high tunnel this year, I believe, it to focus more on salad greens. We'll see where that goes. Temperature was mighty warm in their yesterday, so I opened the window and the doors to cool things down a bit while I planted some of these:
Yeah, I know a 70+ degree day at the tail end of March is a little late to be planting the cold frames. Did I mention I don't like the cold?

So anyway, I'm leaving the covers open for now, while the weather is nice--especially since I planted cold weather crops like spinach and kale and beets. I know! It's going to get too warm in there and they won't germinate properly. Almost makes me wish for some snow, so I don't look so silly. (shudder)

No comments:

Post a Comment