Friday, April 9, 2010

Coooooold

Okay people. I gardened in the snow last night. The snow!

Well actually most of my gardening was inside the high tunnel, but it was surrounded by snow. And I had to trudge through the snow to water my poor cold frames. (Which I shut by the way.)

So the big high tunnel focus is gonna be greens this year. Greens I tell ya. I planted 20 different varieties last night -- mostly lettuce, but also some kale and argula and such.

It's amazing the things that come to you first thing in the morning, when one of my first waking thoughts of clarity was....'No spinach?!'

Yeah, so that's a problem we're going to have to rectify. Some of the space I left for second seedings will have to go to spinach. Because, I mean, lettuce is great and all, but it doesn't really saute.

Oooo...and speaking of sauted greens....guess what I just had for breakfast. Chorizo and kale. (See my recipe here.) I pulled all the winter greens out before planting last night. Had a nice good bunch of kale.

(The argula had all gone to seed and the lettuce was a bit big too. Also harvested: salad onions, mustard greens and some carrots.)

Planted last night:
  • Asian Greens
  • Endive
  • Escarole
  • Arugula
  • Kale - Winterbor
  • Kale - Tuscan Lacinato
  • Salad Greens - Orach Mixture
    Salad Greens - Mache VerteLettuce - romaine
  • Lettuce - 'Merveille Des Quatre Saisons'
  • Lettuce - Really Red Deer-Tongue
  • Lettuce - Red Salad Bowl Looseleaf
  • Lettuce - Lolla Rossa Looseleaf
  • Lettuce - Butterhead
  • Lettuce - Red Summer Crisp
  • Lettuce - Green Grand Rapids Black Seeded Simpson
  • Lettuce - Green Grand Rapids Simpson Elite
  • Lettuce - Green Grand Rapids Tropicana Pelleted
  • Lettuce - Red Grand Rapids Vulcan
  • Lettuce - Red Grand Rapids Red Sails

No comments:

Post a Comment