Thursday, April 29, 2010

SunChips Compostable Bag: Day 1

Package says: World's First 100% Compostable Chip Package.

From the SunChips website: Every 10 1/2 ounce SunChips package is designed to fully break down in just 14 weeks when placed in a hot, active compost bin or pile.

I'm not sure my compost bin is 'hot' or 'active' enough, but the people at SunChips aren't worried. They write, If it takes a little longer, don't worry about it. Mother Nature will get to it soon enough.

So we're going to see how long it takes. That bin has good compost starting at the bottom and lots of last fall's dead leaves and this spring's kitchen waste on top. I turned it some (I'm horrible about actually turning my bins), so the chip bag is probably just above middle now.

Will try to get some grass clippings in there soon to heat things up.

If you don't want to wait for my results, watch the SunChips video.



1 comment:

  1. Should be interesting to see how quickly they break down!

    ReplyDelete